Thursday, March 4, 2010

Fake ID Anyone?

A some point in our lives, we all wanted to be older (or younger) than we really were. I look back to a series of years where if someone asked how old I was, I would preface my answer with "I'll be [one year older] in ["X" number of months]" rather than just saying the age that I was at the time. It was as though I thought being older was somehow better...that what was yet to come was better than what was happening right then and there.

When it came to me answering the same question for probing mommies who wanted to know how old CR was, depending upon his age-to-developmental ratio, I would feel the need to round up or round down his monthly tally to make sure he met the norm for behavioral patterns.

It seems as though wee-man already feels the need to jump ahead of his time. The other day I was taking the drycleaning out of the hamper to take with us on our daily errands for drop-off, and CR asked me for one of B's shirts. After I draped it over his little shoulders, he asked for one of B's belts, and then for one of his ties from the closet. He slid on a pair of his dress shoes, and then said to me "I'm goin' to work like Daddy - I need a bag, too."

He sort of looked like a sloppy priest or other poorly attired Holy figure...but it made me realize that wherever you are in life, you sometimes want to be ahead of your time, or rewind to simpler years.

For me? These days, I would be more prone subtract a year from my answer to the "how old are you" question if I could...if CR can dress up to seem older, then I am sure I can rifle around in my closet and dig up some '90s garb from my college years...or at the very least dig up my premature proof of reaching my 21st birthday...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails