Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Health inspection, house inspection...you name it, we had it checked out

On top of all the things we had on the docket for today, CR had his 3-year wellness visit. The appointment was straight-forward - weight and height measurements, the doctor listened to his chest, poked and prodded a bit, and capped things off with two vaccines and a finger prick to test his iron count and lead levels.

(It's sort of uncanny that CR only gained 2 pounds over the course of the past year - that, and the fact that they weighed him on the same type of scale that they did when he entered the world)


After leaving with a clean bill of health, we went to our second check-up of the day - the house inspection. The inspector was thorough (to say the least - the process took nearly three hours), and the issues that he found we not ground breaking, nor were they things that need immediate attention. The boiler is old...like six-years past it's life expectancy old...so, we may not have heat and hot water once the thing decides it's time has come. Not small potatoes, but nothing that would turn us away from this deal. I do still love the house, the yard, and the idea of living there. As I drove away from the [possible] new house, I looked around at the other homes in the neighborhood. The front lawns were riddled with children playing, and stay-at-home moms socializing with one another.
I, too, wear a SAHM title, but I guess I never really looked at it that way before. With my contract work, I guess I kind of tried to mask that label. Not that it is a dirty word or anything like that - it's just that sometimes I don't think people get how hard it is to be with your child all the time, and the title sometimes gives the impression that it is not work, per se. Skeptics are right in some regard - it is not like the traditional sense of work...I did that for years...being a stay at home is often much, much harder. Among many other things, you [attempt to] teach them right from wrong, you teach them their ABCs and how to count, you are an entertainer, a playmate, and a nurturer...you are constantly having to multi-task, and are never really able to be alone - the solo drive to work, running out to grab lunch, or run an errand are things of the past. I am grateful for being able to be home with our son, and appreciate everything that B has done to allow for us to make this a reality...maybe I should shake my pride off a bit and just roll with the SAHM name...
Okay, a little side-tracked, but it was just a little haunting to drive through our [possible] new neighborhood and see how suburban it really is. I know that I will love it once I adjust to the new suburban soccer-mom ways, but until then, I know that I will continue to breathe a sigh of relief once I reach our current city limits...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails