Friday, February 26, 2010

Reduce, reuse, recycle...

The most wonderful day of the week: trash and recycling day in our town. We finally got a break in the weather (thank you, clouds, for coming to terms with your sadness and drying up ol' waterworks for a stint today...as for me? I am still battling back and forth with a lump in my throat from time to time - damn hormones), so I told CR that we were going to head out to find some of the city's finest service trucks. I was relieved to see that our bins were still out front when we departed the house, so there was a good chance we would run into a vehicle on it's route while we walked down toward the Square to run an errand or two. We got down three blocks from our house, and low and behold, along came the worshiped hunk of metal on wheels. CR's reaction was more elated than he was on Christmas morning.
He grabbed my hand, and pulled me down the street...and then down the next street, and down the next...until we eventually were back in front of our house. While stalking the poor workers, we got a chance to chat with them.

(in this picture, it looks like the man in charge of the machine is coming after wee-man to shove him in the hopper, when in fact he was just chatting with him as he grabbed bag after bag of papers, cans, bottles, and boxes from the side of the road)
The gentleman pictured above kept telling CR to stay in school...so he wouldn't end up like him, at the age of 41, slinging bags of material into a truck. I reassured him that what he is doing is a whole lot harder and more honest than half the jobs out there, and that CR literally idolized his work...it's the truth...his huge toy recycling truck was one of his favorite items under the tree last year...
After finally letting the men go about their business without their tag-along friend, CR and I started out again down the street to the Square to run our errands, and for a quick cup of hot chocolate at the local coffee shop.
All the way home he kept asking me where the truck went...I deferred the question by singing the whole way home...

Lots of kids grow up reiterating statements they hear from their parents..."money doesn't grow on trees...the grass is always greener...home is where the heart is..."

I can see CR holding fast to "if you can rip it, you can recycle it..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails