Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Lollipop, lollipop, oh lolli, lolli, lolli lollipop...


Bribery. It's something I always said I wouldn't do if and when I became a parent. I used to cringe when I saw parents promising things like toys, or candy, when a child misbehaved or rebelled against doing something. But here I am, full-fledged mommy, and now seasoned barterer.
Since wee-man has been fighting a cold and low fever since Sunday night, I thought it best to take him to see his pediatrician. As any child would react when told they are going to the doctor, he was not overly excited. I found myself promising that he would get a roll of Smarties after his appointment (his favorite candy because he can eat them one at a time, calling out the colors as he pops them into his mouth). As we walked out of the exam room (no ear infection, just a bad cold at this point), he knew it was time for Mommy to pay up.
After a trip to the post office, I decided I needed a quick trim of the locks. And where better to get a fast and, sadly, an appropriately priced haircut than SuperCuts (please muffle your chuckles). And what is even more sad is that as soon as I mentioned where our next stop was going to be, CR's focused little mind served up a memory for yet another place I bribed him in the past in order to get his own hair cut - he immediately knew this place offered a whole basket of lollipops for his flavor choosing enjoyment. I said haircut, he said "ring-pop" (what he calls a lollipop).
How do I get myself out of this place where in order to get my son to do anything remotely against his will, I need to dangle a carrot in front of his face? I hope to chalk this up under "this too shall pass..."

(image from here)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails